Habits in our meetings and working relationships help each of us get through the day - but they also limit us. So let go of what is no longer helpful and learn new skills and ways of working. I hope these articles and videos will nudge your thinking and help you in your work in civil society.
Hello hello hello ... One breath feedback ... Give time checks ... A photo of a VIP ... Getting a move on with Usain Bolt ... Plans for the meeting are in chaos ... There are a couple of dozen videos here and there’s sure to be one with a message for you.
See all videos
Published in 2006, Meeting Together (86pp) contains wisdom, tips and ideas about meetings in an engaging, readily digestible, sometimes funny and always insightful way. The 5Ps+1 is a simple tool for checking you’ve got everything covered - before, during and after the magic moment of your next meeting.
Email Martin for a copy of the book or download 5Ps+1.
From 2007 to January 2014 Martin Farrell wrote Under the BoardTalk for Governance magazine. This regular column looked in a light-hearted, but nevertheless serious way, at some of the more subtle issues facing trustee boards in the UK and from 2013 internationally.
- January 2014 - Transitions large and small
- November 2013 - Shine a light ... into the vacuum
- September 2013 - We all need some
- July 2013 - Vive (avec) la difference
- May 2013 - Spot the difference?
- March 2013 - An offer you can refuse
- January 2013 - All ready to go...
- November 2012 - Be not afeared, of the CC words
- Trustees’ right to information whenever they want it
- September 2102 - Do you hear that voice - of the thief of time?
- July 2012 - A happy veneer
- May 2012 - Enough’s enough - how much information do trustees really need?
- March 2012 - Founder syndrome medicine - readily available and quite tasty too
- January 2012 - Give us the ... money (pocket science not rocket science)
- November 2011 - Kicking the rabbit habit (don’t mention the crisis)
- September 2011 - Boldly pause and go
- July 2011 - Trustees go to the seaside
- May 2011 - We’re in hot water - facing demons out, in, and all around
- March 2011 - Banking on relationships
- January 2011 - I wouldn’t be starting from here if I were you...
- November 2010 - No mud, no lotus
- September 2010 - Mind the Gap
- July 2010 - Time to give and take
- May 2010 - The pleasures of (pressing) the flesh
- March 2010 - Now you see it, now you don’t. (See?)
- January 2010 - Breathe in the dust
- November 2009 - Leading when you’re not there
- September 2009 - Reading the river (feeling it in your waters)
- July 2009 - Glittering gems in a conference bubble
- May 2009 - Prestige and high standing, a thoroughly modern concept
- Removing a trustee
- March 2009 - Does your authority figure come out to play?
- January 2009 - You don’t have to be mad
- November 2008 - Hello, is anybody there (body and soul)?
- September 2008 - Goodbye ... hello
- July 2008 - Things that go bump in the night
- May 2008 - Am I making any sense
- March 2008 - Heads up - it’s the money bit
- January 2008 - When I’m sixty-four
Third Sector magazine (UK)
Our habits influence how effectively we can bring positive change to the not-for-profit sector. Now is the time to reflect on individual and organisational habits and make a decision to change those that serve neither us nor our beneficiaries. With this series of articles in the UK’s Third Sector magazine, I hope to bring readers face to face with their demons. It will be scary, unsettling and difficult. You will wish you hadn’t started and had just carried on as normal...
- 13 May 2015 - If you have authority, it can pay to be tough for the good of all
- 16 April 2015 - Consider where you stand on your charity board’s ego spectrum
- 26 February 2015 - Assert civil society by looking a terrorist squarely in the eye
- 22 January 2015 - It’s inevitable that founders flounder instead of letting go
- 18 December 2014 - Queasy about being patronised? Turn that energy around
- 20 November 2014 - If you’ve taken the trouble to become a trustee ... show up
- 5 November 2014 - Is your time sapped by endless emails? Try a new strategy
- 13 October 2014 - Putting off a difficult conversation stores up trouble for later
- 22 September 2014 - Let’s turn meetings from painful drain to productive gain
- 18 August 2014 - Join me in my quiet campaign for more polite networking
- 22 July 2014 - We are in crisis, which can lead to change - so let’s not waste it
... and more
Planning for and Dealing with Major Incidents - Begin as you mean to go on
Traditional Meeting Technique Powers Climate Change Breakthrough
Power of Collaborative Facilitation